[vorbis] How to fit Oggs in a specific amount of space?

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Tue Oct 22 21:49:55 PDT 2002

>   I would try to run them through rehuff.

If you had read the (non-)license to rehuff, you would know that this
is as-yet unreleased software, and you are not granted any right to use
it (although I *did* grant everybody the right to "experiment" with it ;) )

Please don't distribute it; if I wanted to widely distribute it, I would do
so myself, and I did not grant anyone else the right to do so.

That being said...

>   You usually get a 10%

More like 2%-5%, on normal libvorbis-1.0 streams.

>   reduction in file size without loosing any quality. The reason is
>   that for encoding vorbis uses some Huffman codes. But since the
>   codes must go in the header and the encoder doesn't knows what the
>   output will be untill it finishes the file, vorbisenc uses some
>   fixed codes that have an almost unmeasurable probability of being
>   optimal. Rehuff simply reads the data, computes the optimal codes
>   and resave the data using the new codes. Note that this is a
>   looseless process.

Correct.

>   BTW, Seher, have you keep polishing rehuff?

My name is Segher, thank you for spelling it correctly ;)
There's nothing to polish; it works just fine (except it gets bitten
by a libogg bug, which makes rehuff'ed streams expose a libvorbisfile
bug ;) )

> Will Xiph use it as an option for vorbisenc?

Ask Xiph, not me.  They can have it if they want, as long as they don't
molest it into something as uglily indented as libvorbis ;)