[vorbis] Questions

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Nov 8 13:46:41 PST 2002

Adrian Kousz wrote:
> question about: Can I stream with OggVorbis?

Yes, you can, with Icecast2. Go to http://www.xiph.org/cvs.html and read
on how to check out the "icecast" module from anoncvs at xiph.org. If you
require Win32 binaries, check out Oddsock's port on www.oddsock.org. He
also wrote Oddcast DSP, a plugin for either XMMS or Winamp that can be
used as the source for streaming to an Icecast2 server.

> Now another question: Short after the release of OggVorbis,
> Microsoft releases WM9. Have they download your source code
> and write a copyright for themselves? Contains WM9 OggVorbis
> source code?

How should anyone besides Microsoft know? Apart from that I find it
highly unlikely, MS is welcome to implement and support Vorbis - the
libraries and the specifications are BSD licensed. That said, WM9's
biggest new feature is a lossless mode which has nothing to do with Ogg
Vorbis. If you want a free alternative to that, check out
flac.sourceforge.net. FLAC can be used within the Ogg framework, too.

> And now the last question: Can you compile the cdparanoia
> driver for Windows in a library (DLL)? Like in CDex?

Afaik, libparanoia is is not very portable to Win32 systems. The CDex
guys probably did some non-trivial changes to implement it in CDex. So
my answer is "no", however, I might be wrong.