[vorbis] sticking a speex file inside a vorbis file

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 19:07:51 PST 2002

"Segher Boessenkool" wrote:
>This is misrepresenting the issue.  Speex sounds _very_ nice imho --
>_on speech_.  It's not good on general audio (like, music).  Vorbis on
>the other hand does a lousy job of speech (if you look at quality/compression
>ratio).  I think Speex will do a better job than Vorbis for a capella
>_at very low bitrates_.  But you will hear artifacts.  So better use Vorbis.

Testing on "Yoko Kanno - Macross Plus Original Soundtrack ~ for fans only - 13 - VOICES (a cappella version)" at different combinations ranging from default speexdrop config to q10 complexity 10 resulted in good quality compared to 16KHz wave file (which on my system was basically indistinguishable from the cd as it is just pure vocal). Which is why i posted a thing titled "sticking a speex file inside a vorbis file"
I'd upload the files, but that would most likely be questionable. Does anyone want to either tell me where to get .WAV files from to test on, or email me some of their own?
either reply to whatever address i end up sending this from, or to not_a_weirdo_just_strange at yahoo.co.uk