[vorbis] sticking a speex file inside a vorbis file

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Nov 1 15:12:49 PST 2002

I forget the correct terminology, but anyway, sumthin struck me while getting help for sorting out my previous problem.

Among other things (apart from doing the gigs with my computer) I use the G4s (and soon hopefully 1 of those nice dual G4s we just got) to record tracks of the different ppl & bands on our course (which is BTEC Popular music btw) using Pro Tools.

Since Vorbis has the ability to stick other things such as midi data into the stream, i was wondering something.

Since i can use pro-tools to record multiple tracks (usually 1 track per voice, instrument & extra tracks for the DSP that would cause weirdness on the main track), i can also export the tracks individually.
So i was wondering if it would be usefull to :

export the vocal tracks seperate from the instrumental & DSP tracks
    encode the vocal tracks to speex
    encode the instrumental & DSP tracks to vorbis
    maybe save the lyrics in whatever format is most compatible
    maybe save the instrument tabs in whatever format is most compatible
    maybe save any midi data to be used in a weird/fancy lightshow with the the crap lighting desk
then
    stick the speex tracks, into the vorbis file (and maybe the lyrics, instrument tabs & midi data if necesary)

would that be a good/possible idea, and would that stream well over the net (most likely using Oddsocks' nice software)