[vorbis] FAQ : CPU requirements ? and other

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Sat Nov 2 05:58:22 PST 2002

Hi!

below ) in the FAQ ( http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp ) should be
updated to include v1.0. What is the phrase "most commercial audio
encoders" referring to ? commercial vorbis encoders ?

Quote :
--begin quote---
How fast are the encoders/decoders?

Right now the encoder is about as fast as most commercial audio encoders
(and about twice as fast as beta 3), but not nearly as fast as some
others. Since we are using unoptimized beta code, this is to be
expected. As the vorbis tools mature they will become faster. The
decoding is roughly the same complexity as MP3 decoding, and once the
Vorbis decoding tools are optimized, they should decode at similar
speeds. Decoding speed has increased 3-4x over the first beta already,
after the first stage of optimization.

--end quote---

real time playback of "common" vorbis files ( stereo, 44.1kHz,
bitrate about 100-200 kbps ) ? I plan to buy an old laptop to be
used as an universal media player in my car.

"no free integer-based Vorbis decoder exists at the moment"
Need I say more ?

david