[vorbis] fitting lots of music into 10GB with Vorbis

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Fri Nov 1 17:46:21 PST 2002

> Martin Blackwell wrote:

Don't send html mail to people that didn't ask for it.  This is a mailing
list, so there's lots of people that didn't ask for it.  So don't do it again,
please.  That being said...

> Hi- just wondering, what would be the best quality rating to use to fit lots
> of music into 10GB of HD space.

You can't.  Unless with "lots" you mean "some".

> The audio quality has to be high enough for it to sound good when played
> through PA systems (for when my college is stupid enough to forget to hire a
> DJ, or when the realise the DJ they always hire can't use a mixing desk
> properly) ranging from a functional PA system thats stuck in the theatre
> permantly, to a seperate PA system that is very nice and is used for when
> we're stuck in the middle of a field. The resulting filesize of the Vorbis
> file has to be low enough to fit neatly onto my crappy 10GB HD (untill i can
> afford to buy a nice new one).

You'll need -q6 or maybe a little higher to get indistinguishable-from-the-
original playback on a high-end or middle-end PA system.

If you need higher compression due to space constraints, use higher
compression.  -q4 should by all means still sound good.  Most people
wouldn't hear the difference at -q0 or -q1, anyway.

> I've attatched a playlist generated by Winamp listing the music collection
> i've got.

No you didn't.

> PS- where can i get my hands on a windows version of that Huffman tool to
> further reduce the file size

You'll have to compile it yourself.  No distribution of it is allowed.