[vorbis] Interesting file-sharing idea

Michele Mazzucchi of_mij at freemail.it
Sat Mar 16 10:46:44 PST 2002

Sabato, Marzo 16, 2002, alle 04:51 PM, EdB ha scritto:

> I would definitely find value in all your suggestions except the first
> one.  Perhaps listings from song tags would be an option, but many of
> the downloads I receive are tag-deficient.  Partly due to that, I have
> personally become dedicated to a file naming standard which serves all
> my sorting/playback needs, as well as batch tag populating:
>    artist (year-album name-track number) - track name

honestly I think leaving filename specification were a good idea...
forcing to maintain a policy for filenames isn't easier than maintain
another for tags.
However, I like the Ogg-based Music Sharing very well, and i'm ready to
work on it.
If someone like to start a little project, i will be interested in
collaborations.
The only thing i don't like in MusicSharing systems is the lack of
protection. Unfortunately digital music business isn't ready yet, and
phisical supports are still expensive. Most people intend to use these
systems as alternative for buying.
To have the original cd is something other. 13$ / 15€ isn't too much for
the music you really like, and there's no reason for buying (or
pirating) all songs you hear.
IMHO the music-sharing system worth lie in its evaluation service: I
like the song I heard at the radio, but i won't buy the cd for it only.
A music-sharing system permits me to evaluate its other tracks.
Otherwise, keeping only few songs on the disk, to listen to
occasionally, isn't piracy.
This responsability leave in the hands of the poeple.

bye