[vorbis] Interesting file-sharing idea

Philip M. White pwhite at gigacluster.net
Sat Mar 16 10:51:54 PST 2002

At 09:51 3/16/2002, EdB wrote:
>I would definitely find value in all your suggestions except the first one.  Perhaps listings from song tags would be an option, but many of the downloads I receive are tag-deficient.

The problem with using filenames for listings is that a lot of people (like me) sort their library like "Artist\Title", with the filename being something like "Hotel California.ogg" being in the folder "Eagles".  However, all of my songs have full tags.

Because of this, if someone searches for "Eagles", they will not find any of my Eagles songs, even though I have four CDs worth of them.

A compromise would be to first look in the tags, and if there is no information in the tags (as you said, "tag-deficient"), it would use the filename.

I am glad to see that my idea was found to be useful... I wonder if anything like this will ever be created.

                                                                -- Philip.