[vorbis] Invalid parameters for bitrate

JoSH Lehan vorbis at krellan.com
Mon Mar 11 23:01:39 PST 2002

At 06:51 PM 3/11/2002 +1100, you wrote:
>Correct. Managed bitrates are only supported for 44.1kHz input, with rc3.
>There is no workaround, other than to not use 44.1kHz inputs. You CAN use
>downsampled inputs with VBR modes (-q), though - this should do what you
>want pretty well.

much for streaming.  This is true for both 44100 and 22050 Hz input files.

If I lower the input file to 8000 Hz, then it averages out to 32kbps, but
quality is expectedly low.

Strangely, my testing might have exposed a bug.  For a 11025 Hz file, the
encoder produces a file that is unlistenable!  The problem is that the
sound is rapidly buzzing: on, off, on, off, and so on, about a dozen times
per second.  Unfortunately, the output file is approximately double the
expected size.  I think that silent or repeating blocks are accidentally
being placed in the file.  Is this a known bug?

Previous versions seemed to be better at making good encodings at low
bitrates, given input files with low sampling rates.  Is there a workaround
for RC3, or is it required to downgrade to an earlier version?

Josh