[vorbis] Invalid parameters for bitrate

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Mar 10 23:51:56 PST 2002

At 07:56 PM 3/10/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi!  I'm very impressed with the progress Ogg Vorbis has made, ever since
>getting that T-shirt at LinuxWorld Expo :-)
>
>Using oggenc, I've run into a problem, though:
>
>"Mode initialisation failed: invalid parameters for bitrate"
>
>This happens when 2 conditions are true: 1) the input file has a sampling
>rate less than 44100, and 2) the -M parameter is used to specify a maximum
>bitrate.

Correct. Managed bitrates are only supported for 44.1kHz input, with rc3.
There is no workaround, other than to not use 44.1kHz inputs. You CAN use
downsampled inputs with VBR modes (-q), though - this should do what you
want pretty well.

It isn't _ideal_, because full VBR for streaming is obviously not the
thing you want - but practically, it's usually fine. VBR modes tend to
be close enough to some average that the buffering done by clients is
plenty. So that should be a perfectly acceptable short-term solution.

Michael