[vorbis] Strange encoding issue

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Mar 13 02:50:36 PST 2002

Jon Odegaard wrote:
> I've been happily using rc3 since shortly after its release and slowly
> converting the music collection on my PC from mp3 to ogg.  I've now run
> into a problem that has me stumped.  On the 2nd track of The Breeders
> _Last Splash_ album, the intro bass riff comes up with some frickin'
> /nasty/ artifacts that vorbis has never given me before; like it's been

Hm, what do you mean by "converting ... from mp3 to ogg"? If you're
reencoding from mp3 to Ogg, don't expect any quality at neither quality
level. Reencoding is a Bad Thing To Do, only encode from the source,
i.e. CDs. If you're already doing that, a losslessly (FLAC) encoded demo
clip of the problematic part plus a .ogg, at a reasonable quality
setting, with the artifact (and a description of it if it's hard to
hear), could help the developers to improve the encoder or fix it, if
it's a bug.