[vorbis] Strange encoding issue

Jon Odegaard s13 at refrigerant12.com
Wed Mar 13 02:41:26 PST 2002

If this is not the proper list for this type of question, please direct
me to the correct one and I'll post similar queries there in the future.

I've been happily using rc3 since shortly after its release and slowly
converting the music collection on my PC from mp3 to ogg.  I've now run
into a problem that has me stumped.  On the 2nd track of The Breeders
_Last Splash_ album, the intro bass riff comes up with some frickin'
/nasty/ artifacts that vorbis has never given me before; like it's been
dropping samples. The test cases I've run so far are -q 4, -q 5, -q 9,
and -b 128.  The CD itself plays fine, as does the .wav from which I'm
encoding.  LAME doesn't seem to mind, either.

I'm (still) running Red Hat 6.2, and I remember someone mentioning some
problems with an older version of glib or glibc, but I upgraded as far
as I could without breaking 4,067 or so dependencies.  I now have:

glib-1.2.8-1
glibc-2.1.3-23
egcs-1.1.2-30

Any ideas?  Thanks, all.