[vorbis] Pre RC4 changes

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Jun 30 11:14:24 PDT 2002

David Tenser wrote:
> > The final version will come out
> > some day after RC4 - it won't contain any more great features, just
> > bugfixes, maybe some more tuning, and full specifications for the whole
> > thing so 3rd party developers can finally start their own
> > implementations.
> And when will this RC4 version be released? There have been no update on
> the pages on ogg.org/vorbis since December 2001! Why can't they at least
> post *something* to let people know that the project is not dead?

RC4 is now in main CVS, that means it's not only on Monty's harddisk or
side branches anymore. Usually things go very quick once that happened.
My guess would be that RC4 will be released within a few weeks. (This is
no official statement.)

I see no point in writing "something" on the websites. There's not much
to say than "Ogg Vorbis is currently being developed." or so ... If you
really want to know what's going on, you can subscribe to the cvs
mailing list (mailto:majordomo at xiph.org and write "subscribe cvs" into
the message body without the quotes) and have all changes to the CVS
repository in your inbox, including the respective log entries/comments
by the authors.

Anyways, it's safe to assume that all developers are working hard on
getting things going on, even without (ir)regular website updates. I
suppose there will be updates together with the release of RC4.