[vorbis] WMA -> OGG

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jun 28 00:36:53 PDT 2002

Øyvind Stegard wrote:
> Does anyone know of any Linux app that will decode the WMA's to raw PCM
> files (or WAVs)? I can play them with MPlayer(using win32 DLLs), but
> can't see any way to decode them to a file.

If everything else fails, you still can record the playback on-the-fly
using the "What-you-hear" feature or something similar ... This works
with any program that can record to .wav, and I got okay results when
doing this with .rm files. The audio goes through the DACs twice that
way (I think), but this shouldn't be noticeable due to the suboptimal
quality of .wma or .rm in my case anyways. At least I didn't notice
anything. The only important thing to remember is to mute potential
noise generators like CD-In, Line-In, Mic etc before recording.

This, of course, is pretty much a pain if you have to do this with loads
of files. You mentioned you have only few, so if you can't find anything
better, this solution might be acceptable.