[vorbis] [OT] reel to reel

Paul Martin pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 17:06:40 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:20:35PM +0200, Merijn Vogel wrote:
> Used my fathers old tapedrive at 4.75cm/s for radio-recording; three hours
> on one side of a tape.
> Used the same with 19cm/s to copy from cd's; reducing noise and the duration
> of clicks.

It's analogous to bitrates and codecs.

A good quality tape, with a good head gap, and clean head, with correct
bias would give better results than a poor tape, dirty tape head, or a
cheap head.

Speeds used were standardised in inches per second:

 15/16 ips  (2.38cm/s) Low quality speech, 8kbps per channel equivalent
 1 7/8 ips  (4.76cm/s) Speech, low quality music, 32kbps/chan equivalent
 3 3/4 ips  (9.53cm/s) Medium quality music, 64kbps/chan equivalent
 7 1/2 ips (19.05cm/s) Good quality music.

Professional recorders used higher speeds of 15 inch/s and 30 inch/s.

The popular "home user" speed was 3.75 inch/s, even though on most
equipment its top frequency was around 10kHz (good quality tape and
smaller head gap would increase that a little).

Compact cassette uses 1/8 inch wide tape for 4 tracks, and runs it at
1 7/8 inch per second.

--
Paul Martin <pm at zetnet.net> (work)
  <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> (home)