[vorbis] Ogg/Icecast vs. Real

Brent Miller yidaki2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 30 22:48:47 PDT 2002

After reading through an older thread on this list (streaming ogg
audio), I was wondering if would be possible in the future to use
OggVorbis and Icecast as a replacement for RealAudio and RealServer. By
this I'm not talking about simple live http/tcp streaming, but on-demand
rtsp/udp streaming where a user could open a player and instantly jump
to a location in a file, or click a link in a browser similar to a .ram
or .smil file and be taken to a particular location in a file. I'm also
thinking that the client/server would be able to monitor bandwidth needs
and peel the bitrate accordingly. So I guess specifically what I'm
wondering is:

Can OggVorbis handle this type of streaming?
Is this something that the Icecast team is working on or would this
require a whole different streaming server?
And, could this be handled by pluggins for XMMS, Winamp, etc., or would
this require a whole new client to play this type of stream?

I've been using Real on and off for a while now on a couple different
projects and although I like some of the features, I would love to be
able break away from a proprietary/closed system.

Thanks in advance,
Brent