[vorbis] Pre RC4 changes

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Jun 30 04:03:02 PDT 2002

Caleb wrote:
> I used to use AudioGrabber, but im not sure if i should keep using it.

I heard CDex and Exact Audio Copy for Windows are cool, I use cdparanoia
under Linux.

> One last question, im afraid to encode files with ogg vorbis now
> because its still not a finished version (RC3), and RC4 is prolly on
> the way.. so my question is, should i wait alittle bit for RC4? or even
> the FINAL? or just encode with RC3?

As long as you want to encode CD quality audio (44.1 kHz / 16 bit /
stereo), RC3 will already make you happy. RC4's main new features are a
much better bitrate management engine (you don't need that anyways,
unless you're streaming) and improved low-bitrate modes (you don't need
that anyways, unless you're streaming). The final version will come out
some day after RC4 - it won't contain any more great features, just
bugfixes, maybe some more tuning, and full specifications for the whole
thing so 3rd party developers can finally start their own
implementations.