[vorbis] streaming ogg audio

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jun 27 04:07:25 PDT 2002

Akos Maroy wrote:
> Yes. But I actually aggree with figyu's suggestion, that you don't
> really need exact positioning. In a minimal approach, you could try and
> treat a VBR file as a CBR file, and position by phisical file location
> (and HTTP resumre requests). While this would not be exact, it would be

For the sake of usability, I'd like to have at least a little accurate
positioning... While messing around with some MP3 encoders, I checked
FhG's VBR mp3s, and they're like, weird. Haven't seen that randomness in
song-length and seeking anywhere else. (Seen in Winamp, other VBR MP3s,
e.g. lame encoded ones, are fine and can be handled like .ogg files)

It's almost impossible to guess anything about where you're jumping to,
it all depends on the current bitrate where setting the seeking bar to
the middle actually brings you in the song.

Maybe it IS accurate enough when seeking VBR files according to their
filesize, but I guess that has yet to be tested.