[vorbis] streaming ogg audio

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Thu Jun 27 03:40:36 PDT 2002

Moritz Grimm wrote:
> Mkay. The only possible scenario where this could be working would be an
> mp3 lying on a standard webserver that supports resuming downloads. You
> don't really listen to an mp3 stream, but play an mp3 file simply off an
> http server instead of your local harddisk. This might work if the mp3
> plugin of Winamp supports this ... would be a nice idea. On the other
> hand, I really doubt that this will work well with VBR mp3s, so Vorbis
> (being a VBR only codec) might get into trouble here.

Yes. But I actually aggree with figyu's suggestion, that you don't
really need exact positioning. In a minimal approach, you could try and
treat a VBR file as a CBR file, and position by phisical file location
(and HTTP resumre requests). While this would not be exact, it would be
good enough for most uses. E.g. you listen to an hour long VBR file from
a web server, and you seek into the 'middle' (by file size), you will
get into the 'middle' approximately in playing time as well.

The problem is that you have to 'catch' the frames of the file (either
mp3 of Ogg Vorbis). But this mainly means that when your randomly seek
into a file, you have to prepared to skit the data until the next frame
starts.

> MP3 streams in the traditional sense are not seekable, you play what you
> get from the server. Restarting such a "real" stream will let you play
> only the current position of the stream, so it's like tuning into a
> radio station (that's why it's called Internet radio ;P).

Yes, this is true, you can't seek into a live feed. (Unless you
implement a streaming client like a PVR :)