[vorbis] MP3 to OGG conversion

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Jun 25 16:52:34 PDT 2002

Robert Cole wrote:
> I'm behind the ogg format 110% but it will NEVER go anywhere fast UNTIL
> utilities to convert mp3 to ogg with very little quality loss exists!

Just a little addition to the other answers, or why no tool can do this
without letting the result sound like "ass", like Monty pointed out. :)

MP3 and Vorbis are not compatible, so you can't transcode - that means,
translating the compressed data from one format to the other without any
further loss doesn't work. It's mathematically impossible (at least
that's what my brain stored about this topic), so all you can do is
re-encode.

Besides, Vorbis will try hard to reproduce the crappy MP3 sound and
waste bits on its artifacts instead of the music. Anyone listening to
.ogg files that were created that way will wonder how crappy Vorbis is,
so if you REALLY think that you have to do this, don't share those .ogg
files, please.

This reminds me of another guy who wanted to re-encode from .ogg to .mp3
because he wanted his music collection to contain only one file
extension (!). No, there was no other reason than that, not even
portable players. The other way round, although nice from an advocate's
point of view, is just as silly. Vorbis and MP3 can co-exist happily,
and when you just rip all your new music from CD to .ogg the percentage
of MP3s in your collection will decrease, giving you the nice feeling of
doing the right thing - for your ears and the Internet by supporting the
upcoming, free multimedia standard. :)