[vorbis] MP3 to OGG conversion

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz gradha at terra.es
Wed Jun 26 09:42:53 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:52:34AM +0200, Moritz Grimm wrote:
> Just a little addition to the other answers, or why no tool can do this
> without letting the result sound like "ass", like Monty pointed out. :)

While I can't disagree with the fact that both formats use different
lossy methods to achieve compression, the real reason why there aren't
tools doing direct mp3->ogg conversion is because it's really easy to
make your favourite mp3 software output wav files, which can be converted
to anything else.

Also, while most people on this list seem to be worried about bragging
how high they have to set the ogg quality setting to compress their music
in order to avoid hearing the obvious and horrible artifacts, I'm here
to remind you that many other people don't give a damn about quality,
or worse (like in my case) can't give a damn about it because nature
has not gifted them.

Robert, go ahead, I've converted mp3 from 192Kbit to ogg 128kbit and
they sound perfect. In fact, all the mono 64Kbit mp3 I've ripped so far
sound exactly as the original audio cds.

PD: Don't worry people, I won't share my horrible oggs over the net.

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha at terra.es   http://gradha.infierno.org/