[vorbis] ogg: another tag?

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Jul 31 06:23:26 PDT 2002

On 2002-07-31, Gerhard Thomas Kriz wrote:

> I've learned that I can make a tag with vorbisgain that tells the player
> at what volume a track is to be played to achieve a certain level of
> loudness.
> Is it possible that there will be a tag that tells the player for instance
> to add more bass when it plays a track? Ore more treble?
> With such tags it would be possible to customize the sound of a
> track according to my wishes - without changing the track itself.
> Is that possible? Does such a thing exist already?

Certainly.  However, you will need to teach the player to understand and
use these tags.  Unless many people will want this you probably won't
manage to standardize it...

If you are going seriously into non-destructive operations on tracks, the
vorbis comment system won't be the way to go.  One could define a
universal format for describing operation on sound(s), create a program
for conveninetly manipulating it and embed that format together with
needed tracks in an Ogg file.  That would give somthing like
http://www.goldwave.com/multiquence/ but in an Ogg container...  (BTW,
it's author already supports vorbis in GoldWave, you can ask him to add
support in Multiquence...)  Or maybe just holding the tracks in external
files is better...