[vorbis] Re: [paranoia] live albums

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Wed Jul 31 15:50:01 PDT 2002

Richard Polton (Richard.Polton at morganstanley.com) wrote:

> Is there a way, in either cdparanoia or ogg vorbis, to encode a live
> album which has tracks but no gaps between them? Is the only present
> solution to concatenate all the extracted wav files and then to encode
> it as a single ogg?

You can't cat wav files together.  But you can tell cdparanoia to rip
the whole CD into a single wav file.

Or you could rip each track as a separate ogg, give them filenames that
are easily sort-able (e.g., "01_Title_Goes_Here.ogg"), and then play
them with something like "ogg123 *.ogg".  This will give you gapless
playback, and at least in theory you can use SIGINT (^C) to skip to
the next track -- or, of course, you could just play individual oggs.

Finally, you could rip each track as a separate wav/ogg, and then
literally cat the oggs together into one giant ogg file.  (Unlike wavs,
oggs can be catted.)  I don't know of any players that will let you
skip to the next vorbis stream in a multi-stream ogg file (yet), but at
least the title display will change when the stream changes -- assuming
you put comments in them -- and of course it will still be gapless.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |