[vorbis] redhat vorbis install

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Jul 24 18:52:30 PDT 2002

At 01:00 PM 7/24/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I hope I'm not being an idiot, but I'm attempting to install vorbis-1.0
>RPMs on a few redhat machines and failing horribly.  I'm in dependency
>hell.
>
>For starters, libao-0.8.3-1 requires libasound.so.2 (an alsa library?)
>which does not seem to be available in any recent redhat releases.

libao does NOT require libasound. This is a false dependency added by
the RPM tools, you can and should safely ignore it.

>Then vorbis-tools wants libcurl.so.2, which makes redhat 7.2 machines
>choke.
>
>Worst of all is that there's a boadload of packages depending on
>(since-renamed) vorbis libs:
>
>        libvorbisenc.so.0   is needed by kdebase-2.2.2-1
>        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by SDL_mixer-1.2.0-4
>        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by xmms-1.2.5-7
>        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by tuxracer-0.61-5
>        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by kdemultimedia-2.2.2-2
>
>So, my question is: is it possible to upgrade redhat 7.3 machines using
>RPMs?  The vorbis.com download page seems to imply this is possible.  But
>it doesn't seem as though I'm going to succeed without forcing a bunch of
>broken dependencies or conflicting packages to coexist.

Not easily, the reasons for this are complex. If you force it and then
symlink libvorbisfile.so.3 to libvorbisfile.so.0, most (all?) of these
programs will still work - but some might not.

Michael