[vorbis] redhat vorbis install

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Thu Jul 25 17:41:23 PDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Eric Seppanen wrote:

> I hope I'm not being an idiot, but I'm attempting to install vorbis-1.0
> RPMs on a few redhat machines and failing horribly.  I'm in dependency
> hell.
>
> For starters, libao-0.8.3-1 requires libasound.so.2 (an alsa library?)
> which does not seem to be available in any recent redhat releases.

This is an incorrect install dependency for libao.  It is something that seems
to pop up a lot because a libao plugin links with libasound, but libasound is
not needed for libao to be installed and work.  I do not know whether the
.spec file is incorrect or if RPM is being overly clever with setting
dependencies for the package builder.  As a temp fix, you may install the
libao RPM with --nodeps safely because libao does not *require* external
libraries to be present to do something.

(Of course, you may not be happy if those libraries are needed for your
preferred audio playback method.  However, this is not the case with you.)

---
Stan Seibert