[vorbis] wow! and what about h/w players for vorbis files?

Roger roger_maillist at alltel.net
Sat Jul 13 16:12:33 PDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 13:07, volsung at asu.edu wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Roger wrote:
>
> > Basically, i want to player vorbis files thru my car cassette stereo
> > some how. The only method i see currently (affordable) is to use a
> > laptop and use a mini to rca (or whatever) to the line-in on the radio
> > (maybe).
>
> The only hardware player I'm aware of is the Sharp Zaurus along with tkcPlayer
> (http://www.thekompany.com/embedded/index.php3).  The Zaurus is a PDA and not
> just a music player, so it's overkill for most people unless you already
> wanted a PDA.  And at $500, it's not for the thin of wallet.

ah, well.. what i thought. i say push the version 1.0 out incase that's
what corps are waiting for.

vorbis is obviously way better then mp3. mp3 obviously clips the upper
range in order to compress (sounds very bassy). and multi-track support
with vorbis is obviously another huge plus.

although, if you all research it, i *did* find that kenwood will be
making an additional box for car stereo systems (it's huge and looks
like it'll reside in the trunk)..it also costs a pretty penny like >$800
or so.

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2002/musickeg.html

actually, it's priced at $900 but an additional required head unit will
cost an additional $500. so, your looking at ~$1100 for this.

ony is also listed in the article as also having a keg unit but
kenwood's cost <$600.

~$1400 seems to be quite a price to pay to just listen to your vorbis
files. Carrying the weight of all your cdroms might be equivelent to
this unit in weight and a simply cdrom player will cost quite less too.