[vorbis] wow! and what about h/w players for vorbis files?

Martin Lumsby m.l at abc.se
Sun Jul 14 17:26:32 PDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 10:07:26 -0700 (MST), you wrote:

>The only hardware player I'm aware of is the Sharp Zaurus along with tkcPlayer
>(http://www.thekompany.com/embedded/index.php3).  The Zaurus is a PDA and not
>just a music player, so it's overkill for most people unless you already
>wanted a PDA.  And at $500, it's not for the thin of wallet.

Zaurus seems to be a pretty little PDA, but like most other, it run
only Compact Flash-memory, and everyone know that CF is expensive.

I use my old Toshiba Libretto 100CT for mp3/ogg, and it is the perfect
multi-platform!. A "real" PC with harddisk (2,5" 9,5mm), pentium
166Mhz (mine overclocked to 233Mhz) and it is more portable than
mostly other notebooks/subnotebooks. Only the  "Palmax"-notebook and
"Casio Fiva" is about the same size, but is way to hard to find at low
prices.

the 75CT-model takes even less space, but runs only 75Mhz, but should
be overclockable to at least the double. This model only takes special
Toshiba 8,75mm 2,5" drives.

The only bad thing is the battery time (High capacity battery 2400mAh
runs for only 3-4 hours), but battery packs can be modified with
higher capacity cells.

/Martin