[vorbis] redhat vorbis install

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Thu Jul 25 20:30:25 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:57:46AM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> At 06:27 PM 7/24/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >I've made significant progress on making RPMs that are friendlier to a
> >stock redhat system.
> >
> >The libasound dependency in libao can be fixed by editing the libao spec
> >file, building new rpms that don't attempt to interface to ALSA.
>
> That's the wrong way to do it. There's no runtime dependency on alsa, so
> it's just incorrectly set in the RPM file. Removing the alsa plugin just
> removes functionality, which isn't a good thing.

Thanks for your help on this point (as well as the others who have pointed
out the same thing), but I can't even rebuild the binary RPMs on a Red Hat
system without removing the following lines from the spec file:

  BuildRequires:         alsa-lib-devel >= 0.9.0
(and, in the %files section:)
  %{_libdir}/ao/*/libalsa09.so

The actual libasound.so.2 dependency is automatically introduced by the
RPM build process, and can be disabled, as described by Bill Nottingham
earlier.

I don't see much value in creating RPMs that can't even be rebuilt on the
intended target system, so I don't see how I can create redhat-friendly
RPMS (and SRPMS) of libao without disabling alsa support.  I understand
the desire to retain alsa support so the same RPM can be used on different
distributions, I just want better behaved RPMs more :)

On a related note,
I understand that using --force with the vorbis.com RPMs will work, and
I'll make a note of that on my web page.  But I still think that
publishing RPMs that are claimed to be "for RedHat Linux", that do not
install gracefully or rebuild on Red Hat machines, may frustrate potential
users.

If --force or installation of other third-party RPMs is _intended_, it
should be documented on the download page.

Eric