[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Mon Jul 8 22:38:43 PDT 2002

On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:50, Craig Dickson wrote:
> John Morton wrote:
> > My favourite all time audiophile page:
> >
> > http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/Tweek.htm
> >
> > The mark of a great troll is that it leaves the reader unsure as to
> > whether it really was a troll or not.
>
> No, if you have a clue, you should be able to tell a troll from a
> genuine fool. That is the purpose of trolling: to let people who have no
> clue reveal that fact by their serious responses to a troll.

Sometimes the fun is in watching the fools be fooled, and other times it's in
the Easter egg hunt to distinguish the fools from the trolls. I think this
one falls into the latter camp.

> This is definitely a troll, and a pretty good one, too. Let's summarize
> his recommendations:
>
> - Fill speaker cabinets with sulphur hexafluoride gas. Uranium
>   hexafluoride would be even better, but for its unfortunate
>   radioactivity. The best way is to fill condoms with the gas and tie
>   them off, then fill the speaker cabinet with the condoms.

The trouble is that sulphur hexafluoride really does have the properies he
claims it has, and this sounds just like the kind of crazy stuff that zealous
audio loons would get up to.

However the reference to Scotch mist makes me wonder...

> - Apply blue-tack to all windows and cupboard handles to eliminate
>   rattling.

This is pretty much the only sensible thing he mentioned.

[Increasingly silly loudspeaker hacks]

> Even the first of these recommendations is clearly a troll; the
> remainder merely enhance the effect.

However, the rest of his website gives no really firm indication that he's
just taking the piss. In fact some of those pages lend weight to the the kook
theory.

> Thanks for the link; this was great fun to read.

Enraged rugby players to NTK for publishing it in there memepool section,
some weeks ago. They also had a link to some guy who claims to know people
who can hear the difference between a digital recording and copy of the same
recording on different harddrives, due to that hobgoblin of digital audio,
'jitter'.

http://www.johnvestman.com/digital_myth.htm

John