[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

Craig Dickson crdic at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 4 16:50:54 PDT 2002

John Morton wrote:

> My favourite all time audiophile page:
>
> http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/Tweek.htm
>
> The mark of a great troll is that it leaves the reader unsure as to whether
> it really was a troll or not.

No, if you have a clue, you should be able to tell a troll from a
genuine fool. That is the purpose of trolling: to let people who have no
clue reveal that fact by their serious responses to a troll.

> That last paragraph makes me think it's a
> troll, but everything else superficially checks out as the sort of crazy
> stuff an audiophile would be in to, so I'm just not sure.

This is definitely a troll, and a pretty good one, too. Let's summarize
his recommendations:

- Fill speaker cabinets with sulphur hexafluoride gas. Uranium
  hexafluoride would be even better, but for its unfortunate
  radioactivity. The best way is to fill condoms with the gas and tie
  them off, then fill the speaker cabinet with the condoms.

- Apply blue-tack to all windows and cupboard handles to eliminate
  rattling.

- Encase all speaker cabinets in a 2mm layer of lead for damping. Ground
  the lead to eliminate the risk of static electricity buildup.

- Prick loudspeaker cones with a pin to allow pressure equalisation
  (since the lead paneling will make the cabinet air-tight).

- Turn the woofer cone inside-out, facing inwards, to make bass less
  directional and make room for more gas-filled condoms.

- Suspend balloons in front of your tweeters to focus the higher
  frequencies.

- Replace speaker cables with a combination of copper plumbing pipe and
  400 amp welding cable.

- Reduce air viscosity by generating wide-band RF noise in your listening
  space.

- Take off your glasses to reduce echoing between the lenses and your
  face.

Even the first of these recommendations is clearly a troll; the
remainder merely enhance the effect.

Thanks for the link; this was great fun to read.

Craig