[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

Luke Usherwood Luke.Usherwood at clear.net.nz
Thu Jul 4 11:20:57 PDT 2002

>There are plenty of people out there who can tell
>you which way round the speaker cables are connected
>just by listening to the system.

That's easy if you know a piece of music that has a psudo-spacial stereo effect added (and I'm no golden-ears).  In the wrong phase, the sound will kind of seem like it's coming from inside your head (which sticks out since your brain knows that isn't possible!).

>run into people who consider that an amplifier power
>cable needs a "break in" time of several weeks before
>best sound quality is reached.

I have a very hard time believing that any minimal changes in the electrical characteristic of a power cord would have any effect on an amp unless the amp was horrendously badly designed, or the power cord was far too under rated -- in which case it may heat up (increasing it's resistance and possibly making the sound worse).  Maybe there are dirty plug contacts which become cleaner with use?  Still unlikely.

The most likely things changing would be the person's perception of the sound, or the components in the amp.  Not at all likely (IMHO) would be the amp's power cord.

But, I'd be happy to hear a brief scientific description of the change to prove me wrong...