[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Thu Jul 4 11:46:15 PDT 2002

Luke Usherwood wrote:
>>There are plenty of people out there who can tell
>>you which way round the speaker cables are connected
>>just by listening to the system.
>

> That's easy if you know a piece of music that has a
 > psudo-spacial stereo effect added (and I'm no golden-ears).
 > In the wrong phase, the sound will kind of seem like it's
 > coming from inside your head (which sticks out since your
 > brain knows that isn't possible!).

I don't mean out of phase (the + and - are wrong
on one of the speakers) - that's easy as you say.

I mean they buy "directional" speaker cables where
one end of them is labelled "amp" and the other
end is labelled "speakers".

They claim to hear the difference if you connect
the cable backwards (ie. the "speakers" end to
the amp and the "amp" end to the speakers).

>>cable needs a "break in" time of several weeks before
>>best sound quality is reached.
>
> I have a very hard time believing that any minimal
 > changes in the electrical characteristic of a power
 > cord would have any effect on an amp unless the amp
 > was horrendously badly designed, or the power cord
 > was far too under rated -- in which case it may
 > heat up (increasing it's resistance and possibly
 > making the sound worse).

A cable would heat up in, what? Fifteen to twenty
minutes? The second reviewer on that page says that
ninety days of *continuous play* is needed:

"...at about two-three weeks everything gets soggy
and heavy sounding, and it stays that way for a
while. Then at about five or six weeks the natural
detailing that I demand in the use of a power cord
starts to be revealed. And it gets better, and it
gets better, and after a while you've never heard
a power cord like it."

Other people claim a cable will *never* truly settle
in normal use and that you need a "cable cooker" to
do the job properly.

Read the reviews, seriously. It's much better
than the comedy they put on TV. Whenever I'm
feeling sad or depressed about life I read
audiophile reviews. Suddenly I don't feel so bad.

 > description of the change to prove me wrong...

Don't hold your breath....