[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Peter G. PeterNOSPAMPedal2100 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 31 17:52:37 PST 2002

At 16:33 31-01-02 +0100, you wrote:

>The problem with something like ENCSETTINGS is that users who DO care
>but haven't ever seen oggenc and its parameters, or even a command
>prompt, won't get much out of it. If their favorite graphical frontend
>uses terms like VBR and a quality percentage from 0-100% etc, they might
>be lost. Does -q 4.5 mean 45% or 4.5%? All that isn't revealed without
>looking at the oggenc help or its manpage. And I certainly do not want
>to answer stupid questions like that, so why not prevent them when
>possible.
>
>Moritz

closely related to the FAQ.

Besides, and maybe this is just me, but if I was interested in those values
and saw a tag called ENCSETTINGS (Or some other self-explanatory name) I
would do some searching on the web or usenet for a description of those
values and why those were used.
If a GUI uses self-named parameters then that GUI should also be able to
translate that tag back to those self-named parameters.

As you showed in your *shudder* example with the Windows VorbisMedia, this
tag would make me search for what the Telephone sertting would be
representative of. Would this setting be better than the Speech setting i
had seen in another file and/or worse than the Acapella setting I had in a
third file? The tag alone would not give me those answers unless I already
knew what those settings meant.

Adress is not munged.