[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Hugo van der Merwe s13361562 at bach.sun.ac.za
Thu Jan 31 12:14:52 PST 2002

> The problem with something like ENCSETTINGS is that users who DO care
> but haven't ever seen oggenc and its parameters, or even a command
> prompt, won't get much out of it. If their favorite graphical frontend
> uses terms like VBR and a quality percentage from 0-100% etc, they might
> be lost. Does -q 4.5 mean 45% or 4.5%? All that isn't revealed without
> looking at the oggenc help or its manpage. And I certainly do not want
> to answer stupid questions like that, so why not prevent them when
> possible.

Straying a little off the topic, I would not be happy with encoders
floating around with that kind of percentage setting. One of my friends
already decided to go for -q6 on the grounds that the scale runs from 0
to 10, and 3 seems like a very low setting. So I asked him if he's ever
actually listened to the stuff. (He answers that he has bad audio
hardware, but when he finally makes his millions (he's still a student!)
he wants to have good quality sound files. So I tell him he must then
reencode anyway, with the better encoders that are then available, and
tell him to go listen to oggs at -q0 and -q1. (He was impressed, given
their size, and has now resorted to -q4.)

Hugo