[vorbis] OT: DivX codecs (was: OGG DirectShow implementation)

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Jan 29 15:08:33 PST 2002

I still don't get the whole picture about what actually happened with
DivX, how this could happen (what licenses were/are involved), etc.
Could someone please give me an URL that sums up the whole history
(including XviD), in case such a thing exists? The URLs Google presented
me were either non-critical and/or biased (e.g. from divxnetworks.com)
or simple crackdowns on technical features and version histories. I am
also interested in why there are so many incompatible codecs being used,
e.g. why can't I play all DivX content although I got both 3.x and 4.x
installed?

I don't know about the relevance of DivX in Ogg files (wasn't Tarkin
supposed to be the thing? :) ), so please answer me off-list if this is
straying too far from topic.

Moritz