[vorbis] EAC, oggenc, tags

Anthony Frazier afrazier at neo.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 20:06:41 PST 2002

On 23 Jan 2002 at 21:04, Erik Fuller wrote:

> (-q6 -d%y -N%n -a%a -l%g -t%t %s %d)
>
> Now as long as long as I leave the track title (%t) out, everything will
> work fine and the tags will be added. As soon as I add %t, or %M (genre, Heavy
> Metal), oggenc flips out and won't recognize the switch. I assume this is
> because of the spaces in the title. Is there any way to remedy this?

It's the spaces.  oggenc (and damn near every other program that parses a command
line) will see "Than" as a separate option and freak out.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much you can do if the pathname you're
saving into has spaces in it.  On my system, EAC refuses to properly enclose the
filenames (%s & %d) in quotes, even when I force it to do so in the encoder
options.  This makes it really difficult to have EAC do any sort of non-trivial
encoding, tagging, or directory structure (and I don't think that
"Artist\Album\## - Title.ogg" is particularly non-trivial :-).  I just make EAC
rip to a .wav and I have a command script that does my encoding, tagging, and
replaygain-ing for me.

These, however, are my compression options:
-q 4.00 -a "%a" -l "%g" -N "%n" -t "%t" -o "%d" "%s"