[vorbis] some EAQUAL results

Erik Fuller Phaedras at gmx.net
Sat Jan 19 17:33:29 PST 2002

For those who are interested, I've run 3 EAQUAL tests on both the LAME and
OGG encoders: LAME with the --alt-standard preset (with and without
--nspsytune) and OGGENC (RC3) with -q 6 (my personal "sweet spot")

I am somewhat unsure though about the validity of these tests, since the
original and decoded files were not the same size (2 KB difference). The LAME
encoded files were also DEcoded by LAME (--decode), and the OGG encoded files
were decoded by the Winamp DiskWriter plugin. Same number of frames on all
files though (5001).

Song is "River Runs Red" by Life of Agony (1:56)
--------------------------
LAME --alt-preset standard
--------------------------

Resulting ODG:  -0.0204
Resulting DIX:  2.8016

BandwidthRef    21563.5762
BandwidthTest   18431.5977
NMR             -16.5095
WinModDiff1     7.9611
ADB             -0.0400
EHS             0.1783
AvgModDiff1     7.2748
AvgModDiff2     17.1026
NoiseLoud       0.1419
MFPD            1.0000
RDF             0.0010

Average bitrate: 218 kbps
--------------------------
LAME --alt-preset standard --nspsytune (alternative psymodel)
--------------------------
Resulting ODG:  0.0225
Resulting DIX:  3.0091

BandwidthRef    21563.8613
BandwidthTest   18435.5137
NMR             -16.9514
WinModDiff1     6.7265
ADB             -0.3451
EHS             0.1804
AvgModDiff1     6.3883
AvgModDiff2     14.3635
NoiseLoud       0.1131
MFPD            1.0000
RDF             0.0005

--------------------------
OGG RC3 -q 6
--------------------------
Resulting ODG:  0.0010
Resulting DIX:  2.9001

BandwidthRef    21564.3516
BandwidthTest   17938.4824
NMR             -16.3583
WinModDiff1     7.4359
ADB             -0.4746
EHS             0.1723
AvgModDiff1     7.2782
AvgModDiff2     16.5647
NoiseLoud       0.1278
MFPD            1.0000
RDF             0.0003

Average bitrate: 190.5 kbps

I am somewhat confused by the positive ODG values on two of the tests, since
I thought the ODG values only ran from -4 to 0 (-4 being heavily perceptible
differences, and 0 being none). Can someone explain this?

Furthermore, I'm having some problems figuring out what the other values
mean, even with the explanation in the EAQUAL readme.

http://www.gmx.net