[vorbis] Ogg and Vorbis questions

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Mon Jan 21 10:45:04 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:14:42PM -0500, Jeff Flowers wrote:
> > The format allows this, though I don't think many players would handle it
> very
> > well.  :)
>
> This could give a nice way to encode whole albums together, with each track
> in order in the stream.

I am committing the first stage of a tool to handle this,
oggchain. Right now it can only list the substreams of an Ogg Vorbis
file, but it will also be able to extract specified streams or stream
ranges from a file, or duplicate the functionality of cat for
concatenating streams on platforms where it isn't as obvious.

I decided to make it a separate utility instead of building on vcut or
ogginfo for the relevant parts because it should be applicable to all
Ogg streams, not just Vorbis, when it's done. My thought at the moment
is to eventually link it to vcut (which appears like it was written
with shared library in mind) for Vorbis sample cutting, or specific
other "libraries" for sample cutting of other format streams.

However, seeing as this is already tying together functionality that
might better belong in vcut or ogginfo, and will eventually want
vorbiscomment functionality for working with comments in substreams,
I'm envisioning a grand Ogg utility including the functionality of
each separate program (ogginfo, vcut, vorbiscomment, oggchain) for the
near future. Thoughts?

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>