[vorbis] just curious...

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 21 07:10:00 PST 2002

On 2002-01-21, Andy (Dale) wrote:

> does ogg vorbis or any other format currently allow say, a whole cd recorded
> and compressed into one file, but with points stating where one track begins
> and ends, so you can just play certain songs out of this file, or possibly
> cut songs out of the file into seperate tracks.  or is there any format that
> will do this in the future?  (like ogg vorbis maybe).  just wondering,
> thanks!

The Vorbis format can surely do it, at least in two ways.  The only
problem is current lack of tools that do something intelegent with these
points.

* Encode each track into separate ogg files and concatenate ("chain") all.
Just use `cat' (or `copy /b file1+file2 target' on dos).  This produces a
legal ogg file that plays the whole CD (without gaps!).  Then you need a
player that can jump to the chain boundaries or a tool that can cut the
file on these boundaries.  None exist yet but I think both was promised to
be created today :).  It shouldn't be hard.  (The cutting/seeking is
all there, just no way yet to tell them `the 3rd boundary' instead of `the
356917th sample'.)

* Encode as a single file (or chain at whatever arbitrary points you
want), and record the boundary points separately.  See
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200106/0055.html for one proposed
way to put it in the vorbis tags.  It was not adopted as this is not the
most elegat awy to do things but it does work.  No automatic tools exist
that use such tags either but there are tools that will show to you what
are the cut points so you can seek to them in the player or use the
existing `vcut' tool to split on this points.  Again, it would be easy to
add automation for it, e.g. write a script that calls `ogginfo', parses
the tags, computes the cut points and calls `vcut' with them.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)

Best way to lose ~6GB music and other personal files: create a roaming
profile on another computer pointing to your My Documents instead of your
profile dir; logon - it won't find your settings; so logout - it will be
"saving your settings" very long time because it is busy deleting all
unrecognized things in your directory.  [Personally experienced on win2k].