[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sun Jan 13 19:45:31 PST 2002

On 13 Jan 2002 at 2:13, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Jumbling these different actors in the musical milieu
> into the same tag makes it harder for my weary eyes to tell at a glance
> what I am listening to.

Ah, now I finally get it. :)

<Turning away from Jonathan to address the crowd>
This discussion has been creeping along for a while now, and it's obvious we're not going to all
agree.  The arguments have gotten a little rough at times, and I thank Jonathan for being the
brave soul to take all the comments and gather them into a proposal.

Here's a quote from Monty:
(see http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/0162.html)

"It is also the case that we're looking for a happy, informal, system
that is perhaps erring *slightly* on the side of overkill, and that
most people can ignore safely."

With this perspective, I'm reversing my position on the ENSEMBLE tag.  Who knows - I may find
that tag useful, too, as I begin to use vorbis regularly.  Therefore, I give my miniscule vote to the
proposed standard in full!

(Well, excepting the language encoding, as I don't know if that's been completely settled yet.)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org