[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Sun Jan 13 02:27:06 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:23:23AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> If what you want is an 'informal' standard, or something thats not
> 'official', I've already stated you can use PERFORMER in lieu of
> ENSEMBLE.  Go wild and use PERFORMER instead of CONDUCTOR too.  I don't
> mind.  In the freedb equivalent that springs up to hold the standard Ogg
> taggings of various tracks, the will of the people will be known; if
> more people use CONDUCTOR instead of PERFORMER, it will show up in the
> database records.

And that would mean nothing.  If the editor shows a CONDUCTOR field,
people will probably use it.  The idea of using PERFORMER for all of
them isn't an obvious alternative, especially if your editor is giving
you a separate CONDUCTOR field.

In theory, I like John's idea better; if people could understand the logic
behind it, and players implement it that way.

In practice, I think putting CONDUCTOR in PERFORMER is only likely to
make people ask, "where does the conductor go?"  You can't give users a
full page of text explaining the reasoning behind it; it needs to be
intuitive to them or they won't use it as intended.

You could probably get away with it a lot more quickly with ENSEMBLE.
I'm still undecided as to whether it's a good idea or not; I don't
consider this a major issue, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

--
Glenn Maynard