[vorbis] Re: How to make Vorbis popular

Jernej Simonèiè jernej.simoncic at guest.arnes.si
Fri Jan 11 14:21:15 PST 2002

Hello Jack,

11. januar 2002, 23:12:02, you wrote:

> I used arj for most things because it was only _one_ program, instead of
> 4 or so.  Made it very easy to throw around on different systems.  But
> compression wise, there wasn't really a reason.

I remember, when I was in 5th and 6th grade (8 years ago), we traded
everything with ARJ. ZIP was only used on shareware CD-ROMs, almost
nobody was using it at home... About 4 or 5 years ago I changed my
preferred format to RAR (it had noticeably better compression), and
now I'm changing to 7z <www.7-zip.com> (better compression than both
RAR and ACE, and much faster than RAR).

> IIRC, it had split file support before most others did, etc.

That was one of the reasons why we used it (and ZIPs disk spanning is
still horrible - to extract insert 1st disk, then insert last disk,
and insert 1st disk again to start extracting; besides you can't copy
the files to HD and then extract them...)

Jernej Simoncic, jernej.simoncic at guest.arnes.si
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/
ICQ: 26266467

The item you wanted to price compare with other items is not priced.
       -- Law of Supermarkets