[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Fri Jan 11 17:09:26 PST 2002

Craig Dickson wrote:

> fungus wrote:
>>The ARJ and RAR formats were better than zip and
>>also free but they never knocked zip off the throne.
>>
> I was active in the modem BBS world when arj came out. I didn't see any
> particular reason to use it.

I used it because it was better designed. eg. It could
zip up a directory tree and restore it, folders and all,
without putting all the files in one single directory.
I lost count of the times people would send me a zip
file without the full pathnames in it - you had to
specify two different options to get it to do that,
and another when you were decompressing.

It could also split files into chunks for multiple
floppys - sonething zip didn't do 'til much later.

 > This leaves only one, jar32, that produces smaller
 > files without a nasty performance penalty.

jar was written by the same guy who wrote arj.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \