[vorbis] Barcode or EAN code?

Zinx Verituse zinx at magenet.net
Wed Jan 9 12:29:35 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 08:21:53AM -0600, Philip M. White wrote:
> One my of my CDs has a bar code, 4 011222 044068, which is titled "EAN CODE".
> Another one simply has a barcode, 07822-18646-2, without any title.
>
> Should I assume that the barcode of any CD is the EAN code?  I'm asking this because I want to know how to title the comment of the Vorbis file -- "EAN code" or "Barcode".
>
> Thanks.

They're all EAN13;

EAN13 (which is what the first barcode is -- it's a german code)
 is of course EAN13

UPC-A (which is what i suspect the second one is, with a missing
 leading 0) is EAN13 with the flag set to 0 (nothing to do with
 the leading 0 I mentioned)

ISBN is EAN13 with the first three digits set to 978

I don't really know of any other barcodes in use for identifying
CDs, but in case there are we might better make it a generic thing
instead of 'EAN'.  'BARCODE' would work :/

--
Zinx Verituse