[vorbis] >Why not use OggDrop? Going for managed bitrates? T agging?

Ross Levis ral at baycom.co.nz
Mon Jan 7 13:44:52 PST 2002

Philip M. White wrote:
>>FOR %%1 IN (*.wav) DO oggenc -q 4 --artist="Dido"
> This is wonderful, Christopher.
>         One last question: is there a way to use the loop
> control variable value inside the loop? Since the loop
> counter begins with one and is incrementing each time (I'm
> assuming), I should probably use that value as the track
> number and serial number to save myself time later.
>         Is there a way to do that, like in C/C++'s for() loop?

Not really.  %%1 simply takes the value of each file.  There is no simple
way of incrementing a number, except for one messy way.

Change the existing batch file to contain:
set ARTIST=Dido
set TRACK=1
for %%f in (*.wav) do call ogg.bat %%f

Then create a new batch file called ogg.bat with the following:
oggenc -q4 -a %ARTIST% -N %TRACK%
if %TRACK%==15 set TRACK=16
if %TRACK%==14 set TRACK=15
if %TRACK%==13 set TRACK=14
if %TRACK%==12 set TRACK=13
if %TRACK%==11 set TRACK=12
if %TRACK%==10 set TRACK=11
if %TRACK%==9 set TRACK=10
if %TRACK%==8 set TRACK=9
if %TRACK%==7 set TRACK=8
if %TRACK%==6 set TRACK=7
if %TRACK%==5 set TRACK=6
if %TRACK%==4 set TRACK=5
if %TRACK%==3 set TRACK=4
if %TRACK%==2 set TRACK=3
if %TRACK%==1 set TRACK=2

One thing to note, the files will encode in the order they appear in the
directory (dir *.wav), and not necessarily in alphabetical order.  If the
directory was empty before hand then it should be OK.

Ross.