[vorbis] quality vs bitrate

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sat Jan 5 01:04:55 PST 2002

On 4 Jan 2002 at 15:49, eDb wrote:

> If MikAmp can do that, then the Vorbis decoder plugin
> could easily display the Q value. I think an option in the plugin's config
> box to toggle the display between Q value, average bitrate, and variable
> bitrate would be ideal.

Easily? Hrm. Well, I don't think that little area in the Winamp window can display values like
4.5678.  And don't forget that our encoder is not *the* Vorbis implementation, it is only *a* Vorbis
implementation.  It's probably best that the decoder isn't tied to any one encoder.

But if we wanted to hide bitrate in the player anyway (what's the chances we'll see another
encoder), then it should *definitely* be an option.  After all, I'll most likely to be encoding all of my
oggs with one setting.  Therefore, the quality value is entirely *boring*.  It may be geeky, but I
enjoy comparing output bitrates from song-to-song and genre-to-genre. :)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org