[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Fri Jan 4 02:21:54 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:01:57AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> Hm. The embedded use argument has a lot of merit.  I still think its
> wrong to stick a LANG tag in though.  According to the URL's you gave,
> Japanese people want to read Chinese ideograms in their own Japanese
> font...  I see no reason to do special extra encoding to force them to
> see the glyphs as the encoder originally saw them.  So we're back to
> UTF-8.  Also according to the URL's you gave, although the characters
> may LOOK different in different locales, they do have the same meaning;
> that is why they are the same in the first place.  The extra complexity
> seems to buy us nothing, while a LANG tag could be a hindrance if you
> want to mix and match various languages.

If the tags are intended to be superceded by the metadata stream when
it's made, then I suppose it's not worth the bother anyway.

Once the metadata stream is implemented and usable, I could see the comment
tags being generated just for backward compatibility; in that case, it'd
have to strip a lot of data out anyway, and programs interested in doing
this could easily do so from the metadata.

Like the transliteration, we can do it cleaner with a full data format,
so we're as well off not giving ourself a headache trying to do it with
the tags.  :) (See my other recent message to see how I'd envision this
being done.)

--
Glenn Maynard