[vorbis] RC3?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Jan 2 17:56:56 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:47:01PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Monty (xiphmont at xiph.org) wrote:
>
> > something very much like the above myself, and I don't think OggDrop
> > should be using anything but VBR.  Simple tools should only do simple
> > things and not provide the means for accidental injury by getting
> > overly clever.
>
> I agree.
>
> > Folks who need bitrate management should be using a
> > Hole Hawg (oggenc) and not a Black & Decker (OggDrop).
>
> Hehe... for those who didn't get the reference, see
> <http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html> (or one of the many hundreds
> of mirrors).

Heh.  I actually got to watch a couple workmen try to kill themselves
with a Hole Hawg a few years back.  They were drilling big holes through the
roof of a shorter, next-door office building for a new air
conditioning unit. I didn't see the original 'mishap', but I did get
to see four guys scattering away from it and one lunging for the power
cord...

Monty