[vorbis] RC3?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Jan 2 17:49:21 PST 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Monty wrote:

> Well, we need to find some subtle way to dicourage people from using
> ABR.  The masses will immediately latch onto 'bitrate' settings
> because that's what they're used to in mp3, completely ignoring the
> fact that quality settings will *always* produce a higher quality file
> for the same given size.  Just putting it in the manual isn't enough,
> most folks couldn't care less about documentation....

No, but it does need to be there for those who *do* care about
documentation.  At present, all there is is a mention that -q is the
default mode of operation (both in the man page and in the help), but no
explanation as to why.  And no further explanation of -q is provided (i.e.
how the quality values relate to <....> well anything).

Geoff.