[vorbis] Oggdrop suggestions (was: RC3?)

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Jan 2 08:00:54 PST 2002

Monty wrote:
> > I'm an ungrateful pest who doesn't know what's he got until it's gone. Not
> > as soon as I got my RC3 (great job. Nice way to start the year) I have to
> > add to this. The Oggdrop slider needs a bit of more clear overview. How
> > about letting people type the quality setting. And having the choice to use
> > ABR setting instead would be nice too.

> Well, we need to find some subtle way to dicourage people from using
> ABR.  The masses will immediately latch onto 'bitrate' settings
> because that's what they're used to in mp3, completely ignoring the
> fact that quality settings will *always* produce a higher quality file
> for the same given size.  Just putting it in the manual isn't enough,
> most folks couldn't care less about documentation....

My suggestion would be, since every -q setting results in a nominal
bitrate (readable with ogginfo, -q 5 results in 160032, for example), to
have that displayed together with the current q value in Oggdrop. This
could be some in-between solution and be "fixed" in rc4 or so, when
going after bitrates isn't that much "in the blood" of the users any
more.

Displaying the q value next to the slider (plus the possibility to set
it manually by typing in a number) is pretty essential, though.
Especially because -q 5 and propably some other values are a
psychological "border" to many. q 5, for example, is the first mode to
use lossless channel coupling. Many people just want to make sure that
the .ogg is transparent to 99.99% of all listeners, including me (while
not pretending to be able to distinguish between q 4 and q 5 or so),
which is why I'll be using that setting. Apart from that, this makes it
easier to find the favorite setting again after one accidentially
twiddled around with the slider.

Being able to use the cursor keys to control the slider (left/right
increments/decrements by 0.1, CTRL-left/right by 0.5 and
SHIFT-left/right by 1 for example) would also be a great improvement,
imo.